Prefer to listen to this post? Play the audio here!
Although social media has gained in popularity, the workhorse of online marketing remains advertising email. In the B2B sector, a well planned and implemented email campaign can give you a better return than social media or any other Web 2.0 channel. Advertising email can be complex with so many spam messages and flooded inboxes. Here are five tips to success for your next advertising email campaign.
- Focus on content. Your message needs to be easy to understand, easy to consume, have a compelling subject line, a central theme, and a concise call to action. If your email platform lets you, a personal touch will go a long way when sending out advertising email. Test personalized headlines, HTML versus text, placement of images, call to action wording, and offers for free ebooks, white papers, or coupons.
- Make a good first impression. While a witty subject line will get your advertising email opened, if readers have to slog through paragraphs of text to find out why you sent it to them, they will more than likely delete it before you get your point across. The use of HTML formatted emails helps you to create attractive messages which have a clear and concise message. If you choose text only put your message in the first few paragraphs.
- Before you send out your first email test its deliverability. There are software programs you can use to test out how your emails will look. These programs will catch any strange symbols or flag words or phrases which may cause your emails to be marked as spam. Another solution is to hire an agency to head up your email marketing efforts. They can test your emails to be sure they are attractive and formatted properly.
- Personalize your emails by segmenting your audience. The more personalized your advertising emails are, the better response you will get. Some examples of segmentation are location, age group, and purchasing behavior. This is another area in which an agency can help. They will have the software to do this easily and quickly.
- Track your progress and adjust your advertising emails accordingly. When testing out emails, only test one item per message. This will make it easy to track your progress and make changes. If you have a large enough email list, you can test different items by breaking your list up. Testing and measuring success is an important step many companies forget. You can’t know how you’re doing unless you track and evaluate your progress.
A successful advertising email campaign uses all five of these tips. By implementing these tips you will be on your way to a successful email marketing campaign. Advertising email is one of the most effective tools in your marketing toolbox. Contact Mission Suite today and ask about our free trial offer. Let us show you how we can design, implement, and track your advertising email campaign success. We have the skills and the knowledge to tailor your next email campaign to your business, and produce real results you can see in the form of more conversions and sales.