The internet and technology in general is an ever changing market; so you know as a business owner that what worked last year, won’t necessarily work this year. But you also know that there are some tried and true practices that will always work. Here are some timeless tips to help you succeed in email marketing.
- A relevant and interesting offer. You have to give a little in order to receive so it makes sense to have an appealing offer in your email sign up strategy and even in your emails. The offer is critical to your success in your email campaign. You need to give them a reason to sign up for your emails or buy your products. Coupons, free gift with purchase, newsletters or valuable information are good offers to include.
- Your list is important. You can have a great offer, but if you are sending it to the wrong people, you will be disappointed with your results. The best way to build a good list is the organic way; through opt in sign ups. Using that method gives you targeted, interested recipients which is never a bad thing.
- Relevancy. You need to meet the customer’s interests and likes. Tailor your messages to match recipient preferences. Irrelevancy can cause you to get marked as spam, low priority and can cause your unsubscribe rates to go up.
- Personalization. Greeting your customer by name in the message is something everyone knows to do. But with the data you have (e.g. purchase history and website activity), create custom emails with content that your customers want to see.
- Creativity. Being creative is something you have to do in every facet of marketing. In such a crowded business world, you have to be certain that you can stand out.
- Timing. First and foremost, send what you said you would when you said you would. If you start bombing inboxes with too many messages you will annoy the recipients and collect unsubscribes. On the contrary, if you send too few you will be easily forgotten. The best solution to this is to send when the customer wants them; create a way for the customers to be able to update their receiving preferences. Also, send at certain events such as abandoned cart, registration or special dates.
These best practices are always on trend. You can help to keep your ROI in top shape by following these tried and true trends that continue to work through the changes of technology and email.