Prefer to listen to this post? Play the audio here!
Marketing through email is a very economical and efficient way of communicating with potential and current customers and clients. When it is properly done, it can help you create brand identification and dependability.
Email marketing is a great bargain compared to traditional ‘direct mail’ marketing strategies. Furthermore, email marketing has a strong response rate with a range from 5 to 35 percent, depending on the industry type and format.
One advantage of email marketing is the amount of information that clients volunteer to you when they register for a subscription email. When you receive such specific information about your customers such as their gender, age, income range and especially their special interests, you can target your emails to explicitly accommodate those interests.
Advantages of Email Marketing:
1. You are bringing in an interested and receptive audience. Your offers can reach potential clients that have already shown an interest to you.
2. It is cost effective. Compared to other methods of direct marketing, email is considerably less expensive.
3. It is fast and effective. Conventional methods, like direct mail, take more time and money to execute than email and the response time is much slower for direct mail, which slows down the evaluation of results to determine success. With permission or opt-in email lists, promotions can be implemented quickly with an outcome traceable in real time, providing you with instant feedback as your marketing campaign or promotion is still in its early stages.
4. Responses are high. Generally, permission or opt in email campaigns bring higher, faster response rates as compared to traditional direct ad promotion and even other types of online advertising.
Unlike a website, where the visitor has to memorize the web address and remember to visit the site, an email publication such as an e-zine or a newsletter regularly appears at certain intervals with no effort from the client. After a while, it strengthens your image, educates your recipients regarding their demand for your service, then makes you their choice of provider when your recipients choose that its time to employ someone.
Downloadable pieces such as eBooks are instantly accessible to customers. For example, when you are offering potential clients an eBook with helpful, informative content, by just visiting your website- they click on your “landing page” and fill out their personal details and in just a few minutes, the eBook is downloaded.
5. Email can perform task automatically. Autoresponders are a practical and inexpensive tool that can be tuned to “auto pilot” to send specific information and reports to your recipients through email.
An auto responder will send emails in reply automatically to whomever sent you an email regarding information or products and services you offer.
Now your prospects can get information that they are requesting regarding your business, your services and products almost instantly and they can get it 24/7 without an individual follow up on each lead.
Disadvantages of Email Marketing:
1. These days, spam is everywhere and people are cautious, so email can be a rough environment to work with.
This means that potential clients are only scanning their inbox for particular messages from family, friends and colleagues and ban or delete all else. There are many anti spam programs and email servers filter spam messages to a special folder. Often times this means that emails can get filtered to the spam folder without permission from the recipient.
2. Email messages need to be short.
Prospects want quick and to the point information, therefore long or complicated messages or offers are out, but so are supporting arguments and facts.
3. Email restrains your creativity.
Text is boring and when considering email, text is the most important part. And you cannot let your creativity thrive as recipients wants quick, informative advertisements and reports.
Many small businesses assume that the internet isn’t a valuable resource for them since they don’t believe their goods or services are easily sold online. However, they just have not discovered the quick benefits, easier communication and customer service and the power of cost-effective information processing as well as e-mail and other electronic media.
Anybody can promote their website, advertise their product and get their ideas out simply by using email as the means of delivering and making their message known to the world.