Prefer to listen to this post? Play the audio here!
There’s no denying that social media is an integral part of every successful inbound marketing strategy. Social media provides marketers with the chance to reach out to and engage their customers like never before. It encourages customers to reach out to businesses, and allows them to communicate any concerns that they might have so that businesses can improve their services. All things considered, social media is a powerful tool.
The beauty of social media is that it works perfectly as a complement to the reigning king of web marketing: email marketing. Email marketing and social media are a match made in heaven. Where one platform is weak the other is strong, they support the weaknesses of each other flawlessly, and when used together properly they provide a potent one-two punch of marketing potential.
Beyond the basics – like putting social media badges in all of your emails – there are many ways that you can use email marketing and social media to boost your online profile. Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can blend the two in your next email campaign.
1. Demonstrate the value of sharing: One of the best ways to increase the reach of any message online is to have your readers share it. Sharing can increase the reach of your message exponentially, and it’s surprisingly easy to get readers to share your content. Simply asking your readers to share is one way to encourage sharing, but demonstrating the value of your content – through a coupon, a special offer, privileged information – is the best way to get your readers sharing for you.
2. Have a clear call to action: Whether you’re encouraging readers to spread the word about a new product, encouraging them to buy something from your webstore, or even just trying to drive traffic to social media you need to make sure that your call to action is clear. Make sure your call to action is positioned predominantly on the page, and even consider including a picture that outlines your intentions clearly.
3. Don’t be afraid to repeat yourself: You have (or should have) an agenda for every email you send. You want that email to accomplish something, so don’t be afraid to drive the point home. Your call to action should be made abundantly clear, otherwise overloaded and distracted readers might never even see it.
4. Make sharing simple: If you want your readers to spread your message you need to make it easy for them. Create ready-made sharing buttons for social media, with the message already filled out. The easier you make things for your readers, the more likely they are to share your message.
5. Use email to send customers to the best social networks: Each social network has its own specific demographic. Younger users tend to skew towards Twitter and Instagram, while older users use Facebook and business-minded people use LinkedIn. Try to tailor your emails so that they direct your targets to the most relevant social network. This will make your readers more comfortable on the network, and more likely to share your content.
By utilizing both social media and email marketing your communications with your customers will be more likely than ever before to make an impact and reach a wide audience. This double-edged sword approach corrects the weaknesses of each platform while simultaneously enhancing their strengths.
If you’re looking to really take your web marketing to the next level it’s important that you learn how to integrate your email marketing and social media engagement strategies seamlessly with one another.
If you have any questions about how to meld these two strategies be sure to drop us a line in the comments, and if you’re ready to take the next step towards impactful and effective web marketing be sure to sign up for your free trial of The Mission Suite!