Email direct mail has become one of the best returns on investment strategies for businesses today. A 2009 Forrester Research survey showed over 90 percent of business executives have a direct email strategy in effect. The same survey showed these executives plan to spend $2 billion dollars in 2014 on email direct mail campaigns. As more emails are flooding consumers’ inboxes, you need to know which email direct mail strategies work and how you can connect with current and prospective buyers.
Why Email Direct Mail?
Email direct mail campaigns offer you the most return on investment (ROI) when compared to other types of marketing efforts. The Direct Marketing Association issued a report in 2009 with the following findings:
- $43.62 ROI from email direct mail
- $21.85 ROI from Internet search advertising
- $7.32 ROI from catalogs
Another report by Epsilon Marketing Services also found 57 percent of surveyed customers had a “more positive impression” of businesses that sent emails, and 40 percent said the decision to purchase from a business was based on email direct mail campaigns.
How to Make Email Direct Mail Work for You
One of the best ways to make campaign work for you is to invest in email software. The Mission Suite has a complete email direct mail package which will help you plan, execute, and measure your email campaign’s success. An email marketing software package should give you the ability to manage email addresses, schedule your emails, and measure click through and opening rates. While an email direct mail software program is a wise investment, you should still know the strategies which will make your next campaign a success.
- Ask permission to send email direct mail. Permission is important so that you’re not flagged as spam. Ask on your website, blogs, in person, at the end of a survey, and over the phone.
- Set up an autoresponder message for every new contact. This will keep you from being forgotten, and set up the basis for a solid relationship with recipients.
- Make your email direct mail messages informational and not over promotional. The idea is to spark your reader’s interest so they will visit your website to take advantage of your offer.
- Have a clear call to action. Make it easy for your readers to do what you want them to.
- Insert a sense of urgency into your subject t lines. It’s like the old saying, “make them an offer they can’t refuse”. Subject lines are the first chance you get to grab your reader’s attention, so use them wisely.
- Timing is important with email direct mail messages. Once a month or twice a month is a good guide to use, unless you’re running an important promotion. Then you may want to increase the frequency of your messages, but don’t flood your reader’s inboxes or your messages will just get deleted.
- Measure click through rates. A rate of 25 to 35 percent is a good goal to strive for.
- Give your subscribers an easy out. Include an unsubscribe link on each email direct mail message and make it easy for them to opt-out. While you don’t want to lose recipients, there will be people who want to quit getting emails from you and giving them an easy way to do this is not only good business, but it is now the law.
The above strategies are ones that have stood the test of time and work for email direct mail campaigns. If you have any questions, or would like to get your next email direct mail campaign off the ground contact us at The Mission Suite. We have solutions for every size of business, and we offer a free trial offer for you to test us out and see real results.